We are now accepting inquiries for membership in Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society.
If you meet the qualifications described below (or are not sure but want to verify), please:
- Send an email to Professor Torrell at Torrellm@oldwestbury.edu
- Include your name and Student Identification (700) number
- Write English Honor Society and your last name in the subject line
- You will receive a response within a week regarding the next steps in the process
Act quickly! The deadline for inquiries is: Friday, February 17th.
For more information about Sigma Tau Delta…
About Sigma Tau Delta
Each spring, the English Department invites high-achieving English majors and concentrators to join Sigma Tau Delta, the International English Honor Society.
Sigma Tau Delta’s central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies.
The Society strives to
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 750 active chapters located in Europe, the Caribbean, and the United States, there are more than 1,000 faculty sponsors, and approximately 8,500 members inducted annually.
The signature colors of Sigma Tau Delta are red and black.
Qualifications for Membership in Old Westbury’s Chapter of Sigma Tau Delta (updated February 2012)
The candidate must:
- Be an English or Language and Literature major or School of Education (SOE) Concentrator
- Have an overall GPA of 3.3 (B+) or above
- Have an average of 3.3 (B+) or above in English classes taken for the major or SOE concentration
- Have completed at least 60 credits
- Have taken at least five courses in the English major or SOE concentration, with at least three of these courses taken at SUNY College at Old Westbury
- Have faculty approval
Candidates who meet these requirements pay a one-time induction fee that covers local and national membership dues.
Benefits of Membership
- Membership in Sigma Tau Delta is a mark of distinction
- The membership can be listed under “Honors Received” on resumes and applications to graduate school
- Members are eligible for undergraduate and graduate scholarships
- Members are honored at an Induction Ceremony
- Members receive special recognition at graduation by wearing the honor cord and tassel