Dear Established & potential English Majors, Minors & Concentrators,
You are all invited to the English Department Open House held in room 3036-A during common hour, March 5th & 6th. Come and receive information about the degree. You will get an opportunity to talk to established Majors, as well as the English Department‘s professors.
We hope to see you there!
-Emily C. Lasprogato
English Department Intern & Senator
President of Sigma Tau Delta, English Honor Society
Student Union, Suite 309
SUNY College at Old Westbury
Advisement for the Summer/Fall 2013 semesters begins March 1st. If you are not sure who your adviser is, please check the bulletin board outside the English Department.
Registration dates for Summer/Fall 2013 are as follows:
Make your advising appointment early!
The English Department is proud to introduce The Dr. Cornelia Pinnock Scholarship Award
- Write an essay of 500 words or more that explores the theme of “Transformations in Writing.”
- Possible topic ideas include, but are not limited to:
- a life-changing experience
- how writing has transformed you as a person
- how you have transformed yourself into a writer
- how to transform your writing through revision, editing, peer workshopping, etc.
- Student must currently be enrolled in a section of English Composition I or II.
- Do not write your name anywhere on the essay itself. In the body of the email, write your full name, mailing address, phone number, email address, the name of the English Composition I and II course in which you are currently enrolled, and the title of your essay. Attach the essay to the email. In the email subject line, write your last name and Pinnock Memorial Essay
- Submit electronically to Dr. Torrell, Chair of English, at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 15, 2013
The winner of this $100 prize will be announced in April
Click here to see our flyer: Pinnock Memorial Scholarship Award Flyer_S13
The English Department is looking for participants for this year’s Language & Literature Conference being held on April 17, 2013.
The English Department’s Language and Literature Conference is a forum for students to share the excellent work that they’ve been doing in their English classes. We are looking for exceptional academic papers that analyze literature, writing, literacy, or another topic related to English. If your paper is chosen, you will work with a faculty member and present your paper as part of this year’s conference. We are also looking for student moderators and organizers.
Click the following link for more detailed information: S13_L&L_CFP
If you’re interested in submitting to the Spring 2013 volume of Harmonia, the English Department’s creative writing journal, please submit your poetry, lyrics, short stories, artwork, or other creative writing to Professor Williams at williamsJL@oldwestbury.edu before March 20th.